Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Lists and Excuses


As I lay in bed this morning at six, my mind spinning like the wheels of the bicycles on the Tour De France, I began making my list.  This is what I do, lists are my thing.  I am kind of a list obsessor.  My husband will tell you that I probably have lists of my lists.  But honestly it is the only way I get anything accomplished. As a young person, (IE, before kids) I was kind of the over achiever of the lists.  I would try and think of every thing possible that I needed to get done between today and the end of the week or better yet the end of the year.  I would get my kicks on how much I could get done in one day or one week.  These days I am still and overachiever of the lists, but only in my head and sometimes at six in the morning.  My lists today look very different from the lists of yesterday. Lists of yesterday were outrageously ambitious like...re-paint the kitchen, do three photo sessions, and re-organize the attic...all in one day.  And some days I would actually get all that done.  My lists today are more like do a couple loads of laundry, do a home school lesson, and return emails.  AND if I am honest with you then I will tell you that I really only accomplish one or two of those things in a day.
So I was making my mom list this morning.
  • Return phone calls
  • pack dinner for road trip
  • wash diaper covers
  • Home school Lesson
And all of the sudden a wash of freedom, excuse and relief came over me.  Like a child whom hates Physical Education class with a doctors note to excuse her from participation...I have permission today to go out and not buy "stuff".  Go to Target and shop? No.  Go to get the latest, greatest gadget? No, sorry, I have a plan this year that excuses me from that!
On day 16 of this journey I am at peace with it.  I will not lie and say it has been easy.  There have been times in a grocery store that I reach for something that is not in the category of food and realize that I can't buy that! Or times when I have heard about the latest book that everyone is raving over and normally I would run to the closest Borders and pick it up.  But instead I will go in search of these things to borrow, or live without.   At the end of the day I am very grateful for this journey.  It may become a way of life rather than a year long journey.
~Holly

2 comments:

tracy said...

ok...this is my 3rd attempt at leaving a comment...i'm blogging challenged i guess...just want to say thanks for including us on the journey..can't wait to see what is revealed over time...also how you will spend extra time not spent on "shopping/consumeristic activity" etc. also, were you in on the craig list discussion? regarding setting up a way that items unnneeded could be adopted by someone needing them? or items loaned etc...rather than everyone having to purchase an item that is used just ever so often...that would cut down on storage as well expense etc. jsut random thoughts...so anyway i want to be voice of encouragement!

J. Ruck said...

Go Holly! Go Holly! I love the liberation that you get from not buying...amazing all the time and financial burden that is lifted from our lives. Love the blog...love participating in the journey...love the encouragement!