Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Just Another Hippie!


This past weekend we attended our Oklahoma Food Coop annual meeting. It was nothing as I expected. To be honest with you I expected a ton of "farmer" people. Instead as we walked in I saw more hippies in one church than I ever expected to see. It was so fun, this little underground movement of natural, earth loving people who love food. After we recieved the annual report and typical business we stood in line for the FEAST of FEASTS!!! As I stood in line I met more sweet and personable people than I have met in a long time. It was like we were given permission to be kind and talkative with one another because we were all there with the same cause and mission. If we could all be this way on a regular basis what a joy this place called earth would be. The food was as far as your eye could see, and the best home cooked, home grown food one could imagine. Oh and I forgot to mention the prayer. Yes, there was a prayer for which I was greatful. Here is kind of how it went. "Dear God, or whoever you may call on as your higher spirit. Thank you for this day and this food. Thank you for the land it was grown upon and let it nourish our bodies. Thank you and Amen." Wow, I just loved it. And at one point I was trying to nurse Eden discreetly and accidently elbowed the rather large fellow beside me at the eating table and I said "I am sorry". Where suddenly and without warning did he say "SORRY? What are you sorry about? You are doing what is best for that baby! My daughter nursed her children for well over one year each and I could not imagine anything else. Keep it up sweet child!" Thank you is all I could say in return. But in my mind I was so thankful. So thankful for acceptance in this world. There are many days that I think many (family mostly and some of our friends) think we have lost it. Between trying to live more simply, cloth diapering, fermenting different kinds of drinks, line drying our clothing, hand washing our dishes, buying smaller cars, and various sorts of other radical things, we get looks of disapproval for not conforming to modern society. But here in this place in this two hours of my Saturday I felt almost at home, like just another hippie.

5 comments:

Brooke and Peter said...

Holly,
you'd fit right in here in MT!!! You are not alone girl!

whitneyb said...

You guys are so inspiring! We were talking about you on the way home from your house saying how much we admired all that you are doing and the fact that you have passion about something. So many people are so bogged down by accumulating things in life and trying to "keep up", you guys are truly living. Just want you to know that we think you are great and really are blessed to have people like you in our lives. Thanks for inspiring the people around you, even if a few raise and eyebrow or two! =)

tink said...

I think it is great what you are doing. If everyone did a little of what you are attempting, the world would be a better place. Hang in there...spring is coming!!!
Tink

Anonymous said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes. Maybe we can make it next year.

:)
Justine

Anonymous said...

Well now this is my second time to see if I can get this right, I don't have a clue about this blog thing. And considering we don't have internet at home I don't think I'll get real good at it either, Mondays will be my on day. I saw the list of stuff your looking for, for the garden. I think we have some tomato cages and other wire stuff behind the shed @ the house, give me a call and I'll check to see what we have.

Love ya
Chelle